Also scroll down for comments in which I keep adding info related to bodybuilding supplements after much online research. 

From http://www.nsca-lift.org/HotTopic/download/Protein%20Needs.pdf, some different valuable details:

Introduction

How much protein do athletes need on a daily basis? What sources of protein are the best? Are the times that protein is ingested important for gaining lean muscle mass and strength? These are the most pertinent questions that athletes, coaches, and trainers ask on a consistent basis in relation to protein intake.

While carbohydrates are the key nutrient for fueling intense training, protein is the key nutrient for maximizing training adaptations (i.e., maintaining and improving muscular strength, endurance, and power) (2, 3). In addition to facilitating training adaptations, proteins are essential components of muscle, cell membranes, hormones, antibodies, enzymes, and many other body tissues and components.

The following article will discuss protein needs, sources of dietary protein, and the relatively new science of protein timing as it applies to athletic populations.

Protein Needs

Protein ingestion is associated with the following functions (2, 6, 7, 10, 13, 14, 21):

• Increased rates of protein synthesis

• Increased lean muscle mass accretion

• Improved strength

• Improved recovery from exercise

• Improved immunity

• Decreased musculoskeletal injuries

Currently, the RDA for protein in healthy adults is 0.8 g/kg body weight per day (11). The purpose of this recommendation was to account for individual differences in protein metabolism, variations in the biological value of protein, and nitrogen losses in the urine and feces.

However, many factors should be considered when determining an optimal amount of dietary protein for training athletes, such as (1):

• Protein quality

• Energy intake

• Carbohydrate intake

• Mode and intensity of exercise

• Timing of protein intake

The current recommended level of protein intake (0.8 g/kg/day) is estimated to be sufficient to meet the needs of nearly all (97.5%) healthy men and women age 19 years and older. This amount of protein intake may be appropriate for nonathletes, but it is likely not sufficient to offset the oxidation of protein/amino acids during exercise training (approximately 1 – 5% of the total energy cost of exercise) nor is it sufficient to provide substrate for lean tissue accretion or for the repair of exercise induced muscle damage (12, 22). In fact, some of the leading research organizations serving athletes have published recommendations that exceed the 0.8 g/kg/day threshold (1, 12, 20).

The National Strength and Conditioning Association recommends athletes consume 1.5 to 2.0 g/kg of body weight of protein to ensure adequate protein intake (20). Athletes involved in moderate amounts of intense training (2 – 3 times per week for 30 – 45 minutes per session) should consume levels at the lower end of this range (110 – 130 grams/day for a 75kg athlete) while athletes involved in high volume intense training should consume levels at the upper end of this range (130 – 150 grams/day for a 75kg athlete) (1). There has not been an abundance of scientific studies investigating the optimal amount of dietary protein intakes for athletes. Of the few well-controlled studies that exist, there is a consistent observation that 0.8 g//kg of body weight is not sufficient for supporting whole body protein synthesis or inducing a positive net protein balance (8, 9, 17 – 19, 23).

Sources

As mentioned above, protein quality is one of the primary factors to consider when considering which types of protein to ingest. When looking at the quality of a protein, the amino acid composition of a protein must be considered. Proteins are primarily classified as complete or incomplete depending on whether or not the protein contains adequate amounts of the essential amino acids. Of the twenty amino acids used to make proteins (skeletal muscle proteins, antibodies, hormones, enzymes, etc.) in the body, eleven are considered nonessential, meaning that the body is able to adequately synthesize them, and 9 are essential, meaning that the body is unable to adequately synthesize them. These essential amino acids, therefore, must be supplied through the diet.

The quality of protein depends on the level at which it provides the essential amino acids needed for overall body health, maintenance, and growth. Animal proteins, such as eggs, cheese, milk, meat, and fish, are considered high-quality, or complete, proteins because they provide sufficient amounts of the essential amino acids in addition to the nonessential amino acids. Plant proteins, such as grain, nuts, corn, and vegetables are lower-quality proteins because many plant proteins lack one or more of the essential amino acids, even though they may contain all of the nonessential amino acids.

An internationally used method known as the protein digestibility corrected amino acids score (PDCAAS) is recognized as the best method of comparing proteins for humans (4). A protein with a PDCAAS of 1.0 indicates that the protein exceeds the essential amino acid requirements of the body and is therefore an excellent source of protein. This method of determining protein quality reveals that soy, egg, and milk proteins (casein and whey) are classified as high-quality proteins. Because these sources of proteins are of the highest quality, it is recommended that athletes consume a majority of their protein from these sources. An attempt should be made to obtain protein requirements from whole foods, but supplemental protein is a safe and convenient method of ingesting high quality dietary protein.

Protein Timing

Over the past 10 – 15 years, there has been a growing body of scientific literature that has consistently demonstrated the importance of ingesting protein soon after resistance exercise in order to maximize protein synthesis rates and lean mass (3, 5, 24 – 26). In a study conducted on United States Marines during basic military training, a post-exercise protein supplement was compared to a non-protein containing supplement (7). At the end of the 54-day trial, researchers reported that the recruits ingesting the protein supplement had an average of 33% fewer total medical visits, including 28% less visits due to bacterial or viral infections, 37% less orthopedic related visits, and 83% less visits due to heat exhaustion. In addition, post-exercise muscle soreness was significantly reduced in subjects ingesting protein when compared to the control groups.

It is important to note that most of the scientific investigations have studied protein intake in beverage form rather than in whole food form. Protein digestion and absorption are more rapid in the liquid state. For these digestive reasons and for applying the data that is in the published literature, it is recommended that athletes ingest their protein in beverage form, if possible.

24 June 2013:

Highly unfortunate! While I was having protein shake in front of a very senior ex-sportsperson, he said that some girl had asked him regarding supplements. I spoke to the girl who's 17 and trains daily for several hours in the stadium and that she also does around one and half hour of weight training. 

She said that her coach doesn't guide her well on nutrition like protein, vitamins and etc. She doesn't use computers and doesn't have it at her home. She studies in Hindi medium school, however, says that she has basic knowledge of English. I told her that I've a health and fitness website on which I share valuable details and that I'll bring it to her in print. I told her that I'll also find her some dietitian. 

I told her to write in detail about her fitness level including by getting BCA (Body Composition Analysis) test and what exercises she does and how much and what she eats and that leave it at Madras Coffee House in Connaught Place, New Delhi from where I would collect it and that then show it to some dietitian to get any valuable inputs for her. I told her that it can take some time but I'll do it. 

The very senior ex-sportsperson said that she wouldn't have money for the dietitian. I'll soon start contacting dietitians who'll be willing to help our sportspeople especially the younger people who can't spend. 

I was thinking to encourage a girl having recently done MBA who had expressed high interest to work with me to get involved in marketing, content writing and general management work of the health and fitness related associations that I've now started heading, however, I just wrote to that girl to not work directly with me because I can't even reach her on a weekday. I'm looking for more people who're highly interested in such work.

During the day, I had written a response to someone asking me about protein. Please read below for the same.

I'm going to visit stadium and that interact with sportspeople about this and that also share my website with them. Thank You and All the Best! Shakti

Also: Thank You Dear Joydeep! Great to receive a LIKE from you Sir an Arjuna Awardee! For those who don't know, Joydeep stood 4th in Olympics 2012, Men's 50m Rifle Prone event! I wish you the best ahead for maximizing human potential!!!

24 June 2013:

Someone messaged me on FB and my response:

Hi Shakti,

This is with reference to your post about whey protein in the SSC group page. Could u please tell me what is the recommended amount of whey protein to take in a day. i recently started taking whey isolate for post work-out recovery, but my trainer tells me to take it in the mornings as well, somehow i'm not convinced about that. My workout is an average 1 hour long work-out.. where i do different types of exercises on different days. Also i dont think i work-out so much that i would need whey isolate twice a day.
could u shed some light on this please.

person

My response:

You're welcome to read a comment on this post http://www.healthfitnessindia.com/forum/topics/bodybuilding-supplements-sharing-knowledge-experience-worldwide?commentId=6458971%3AComment%3A2324 which should give you several inputs to decide about protein intake. Also search for "isolate" on this page and you'll find an article link about it and other types. I do find that people aren't aware as well about the different types of whey powders being sold. I also look forward to keep making best use of them including by improving my budget since top quality supplements are very expensive in India considering their prices in USA. I wish that more and more of them would be sold in India because that should even bring down the prices here. I know someone of Indian origin whose company in USA makes supplements for the top athletes and celebrities in India and that those supplements are even much more expensive and so inaccessible to the many other people including the lower level professionals trying to get better.

I suggest that it'll be best to ask a dietitian for your specific requirements and that for which the above link should help in giving you a range of inputs when discussing with a dietitian.

Also, please ask your trainer the reasons. Based on readings, it seems that research is still going on and that people might have inputs based on what they've reading or experiencing. The key is to keep applying the best research and for which also I've started the Health and Fitness India network site where I look forward to keep sharing more and more.

You're welcome to sign up (free) on the Health and Fitness India network site and please also share it with others if you find value in it. Over time, I look forward to having more and more valuable people and information on it. If you're serious about health and fitness then it would be great if you would also motivate others by sharing through your blog posts on the site. Please note that all public content on the site is indexed by search engines.

Best,
Shakti

16 Dec 2011:

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodybuilding_supplement

Bodybuilding supplements are dietary supplements commonly used by those involved in bodybuilding and athletics.

Bodybuilding supplements may be used to replace meals, enhance weight gain, promote weight loss or improve athletic performance.

Among the most widely used are vitamin supplements, protein, branched-chain amino acids (BCAA), glutamine, essential fatty acids, meal replacement products, creatine, weight loss products and testosterone boosters.

Supplements are sold either as single ingredient preparations or in the form of "stacks" - proprietary blends of various supplements marketed as offering synergistic advantages.

While many bodybuilding supplements are also consumed by the general public their salience and frequency of use may differ when used specifically by bodybuilders.

You need to be a member of Health and Fitness India to add comments!

Join Health and Fitness India

Replies

• Hello you can take some Nutrition Tips

1. Meal Frequency

http://www.indiaobesity.in/nutrition_tips.html

• "There are many fake supplements coming these days, we have to be alert about all the supplements. Is there any body in India or Mumbai which can decide whether the supplement is pure and original, like a governing body for the supplements in India whether Imported or Indian brands?"

http://www.neulife.in/Fakesupplements.aspx

• Negative Effects of Amino Acids

Your body needs amino acids to perform necessary body functions, including breaking down foods, repairing body tissue and helping with growth and development. Amino acids can determine your moods and physical performance by regulating neurotransmitters, or chemicals in the brain. Negative effects may stem from consuming amino acids that interfere with your desired effects. You may, for example, become overly excited from certain amino acids when you want to relax.
    Proteins release amino acids into the bloodstream following the digestion of foods. The amino acids tyrosine, lysine and taurine have energy-inducing effects on your body. Tyrosine travels through the blood to the brain to increase levels of dopamine and epinephrine, neurotransmitters that boost your energy and mental alertness, according to Middle Tennessee State University. Lysine plays a role in converting fatty acids into energy. Taurine regulates water levels and mineral salts in your blood for energy.

Affects Relaxation

Sense of Calm

Rare Disorder

Supplemental Side Effects

http://www.livestrong.com/article/488612-best-time-to-take-amino-ac...

• Best Time to Take Amino Acids 

Amino acids are the building blocks of your body's tissues, including muscle, so consuming amino acids can offer a wide variety of benefits, such as improving sports performance. Just as different amino acids promote different benefits, consuming amino acids at different times promotes different effects. Because of the diversity of effects, there is no single best time to take amino acids; several times can be highly effective.

• Can I Take Amino Acid Pills After Creatine?

Many products on the market contain a variety of amino acids along with various forms of creatine in the same mixture. Both products have been tested and validated for effectiveness. If you are consuming creatine before or after a workout, it would be beneficial to consume amino acids with it to help increase muscle growth.

• Leucine is one of the three Branched Chain Amino Acids and sometimes referred to as the 'main' amino acid due to the most popular benefit of BCAAs (muscle building) being mostly due to leucine. Leucine is an activator of the protein known as mTOR, which then induces muscle protein synthesis via S6K; the other two BCAAs may also activate mTOR, but are much weaker than leucine in doing so (and as such, 5g of leucine will be more effective than 5g mixed BCAAs). The leucine metabolite, HMB, is also weaker than leucine at inducing muscle protein synthesis despite being more effective at preserving lean mass from breakdown.

Leucine is a tad different from the other two BCAAs Isoleucine and Valine as leucine seems to have a fair bit of testing on the amino acid in isolation rather than in a BCAA mixture, whereas the other two BCAAs are not as well studied.

The studies assessing leucine mostly look at muscle protein synthesis when additional leucine is added to the diet or to a test meal, and it appears that leucine is able to reliably increase muscle protein synthesis after test meals. Whether this results in more lean mass over a period of time is somewhat less reliable though, and leucine appears to be more effective at promoting gains in muscle in people with lower dietary protein intake and in the elderly (who tend to have impaired muscle protein synthesis in response to the diet).

The interactions of leucine on glucose are not clear, to be honest. Leucine possesses both blood sugar reducing properties (can release insulin from the pancreas, can directly stimulate glucose uptake into a cell without insulin) but also the opposite (via stimulating S6K, it can inhibit insulin-stimulated glucose uptake). In a cell culture, leucine stimulates glucose uptake for up to 45 minutes and then hinders itself while in living systems acute doses of leucine do not appear to do anything remarkable (some limited evidence that leucine can be rehabilitative in diabetes, but this is preliminary). Isoleucine is a more potent hypoglycemic agent, but to less inhibition of its own actions. 

http://examine.com/supplements/Leucine/

• Just ordered Weider Maximum Zell Volume and Weider Amino Power Liquid! God, milk and eggs mein adulteration kitni hai aur usse lack of nutritional value and presence of harmful chemicals kitna hai? I wish more and more people would purchase quality supplements to reduce their prices. I wish www.healthfitnessindia.com would also be of value in helping people consider about supplements. I've bought these from HealthKart which is nice. Best!

• What Are Good Sources of Protein? – Speed of Digestion Part 3

Ok, somehow this mini-topic got a little bit out of control (I have a lot to say) so I want to wrap up the discussion on speed of digestion and move into the other topics that go into answering the question What are good sources of protein?

Whole Foods vs. Protein Powders

I finished up What are Good Sources of Protein? Speed of Digestion Part 2 with a short chart showing the estimated digestion speeds of various proteins, including some whole foods. As someone brought up in the comments, it’s unfortunate that there isn’t more data for whole foods because of the fact that, outside of athletes, most people are eating whole food protein sources, not protein powders, to obtain the majority of their daily protein.

And, in that chart, with the exception of an estimated value for tenderloin that seems impossibly high, most whole food proteins were on the slow end of the digestion scale. This actually makes perfect sense. Whole food proteins are generally contained within a matrix of connective tissue and such (e.g. think of the chewing that you have to put into eating meats such as beef, tuna, or chicken) and that alone will slow the process of digestion down. Basically, even without direct data, I’d expect most whole food proteins to be slowly digesting proteins.

Research using whole food meals find that amino acids are still be released into the bloodstream up to 5 hours after eating them; this certainly supports the idea that whole food proteins take a long time to digest. Other researchers have suggested that a given meal will maintain the body in an anabolic state for 5-6 hours so clearly whole food proteins aren’t digesting particularly quickly.

Types of Protein Powder: Concentrates, Isolates and Hydrolysates

On this note, before moving on, I want to make a couple of quick comments about protein powders since, as usual, there is a lot of confusion, hype and outright lies being made about them. Quoting directly from The Protein Book:

Protein powders come in three primary forms which are isolates, concentrates and hydrolysates. Protein concentrates typically contain roughly 80% protein with 5-6% carbohydrate and fat while isolates may contain up to 90% protein. Hydrolysates are simply isolates or concentrates which have been pre-digested (digestion of protein is called hydrolysis) by subjecting them to specific enzymes. Practically speaking, you will typically pay the least for a protein concentrate, more for an isolate and the most for a protein hydrolysate. Because of the presence of free form amino acids in protein hydrolysates, they often have a more bitter taste than either concentrates or isolates.

Is Faster Digestion Better?

Although this question would pretty much never come up with regards to general health and nutrition, it is one that is relevant to sports nutrition (and as noted in part 2, older individuals may obtain benefits from fast proteins). Is it better for protein to be quickly digesting or slowly digesting?

Of course the answer is context dependent and depends on what the goal is.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/what-are-good-sources-of...

• What Are Good Sources of Protein? – Speed of Digestion Part 2

Yesterday, in What are Good Sources of Protein? – Digestion Speed Part 1, I looked briefly at the issue of protein turnover and synthesis and then looked even more briefly at the now infamous Boirie study that kicked off the interest in fast and slow proteins.

Summing up, that study found that whey and casein (the two proteins found in milk) digested at different speeds, with whey being a ‘fast’ protein that spiked amino acid levels before dropping (after 3-4 hours), and casein being a ‘slow’ protein that raised amino acid levels more gradually but remaining stable for an extended period (7-8 hours).

Of more relevance, the researchers also found that the whey protein stimulated whole-body protein synthesis without much effect on protein breakdown while casein decreased protein breakdown with little effect on protein synthesis; I’d note that there was also an increase in the oxidation (burning for energy) of the whey protein. Thus whey became known as an ‘anabolic’ protein and casein an ‘anti-catabolic’ protein.

• What Are Good Sources of Protein? – Digestibility

In the introduction to this series of articles, I briefly described a number of different aspects of dietary protein that go into answering the question what is a good source of protein. I’d mention again that ‘good’ in this sense can only be defined in a context-specific way. The protein that might be a good source under one set of conditions may not be a good source under another. That will make more sense as I go through the series.

Today I want to talk about the issue of protein digestibility; to keep the length down I’ll save speed of digestion for Part 3 of the series. Once again I’ll note that much of what will appear in this and subsequent articles in this series is being excerpted or paraphrased from The Protein Book, my complete look at the issue of dietary protein.

One final note: While The Protein Book is fully referenced, with over 500 research studies cited, I will not be citing references on this series of articles unless absolutely absolutely necessary.

This reply was deleted.