Martial Arts, Combat, Fight Science - Health Fitness India - Sharing Knowledge and Experience from Worldwide

Hi All,

21 March 2017: God! A chemist told me that today's sales hasn't been good and so if I can buy a box of whey protein. I already had one box, however, I bought another. This was few hours ago. Earlier today, I was thinking from where the top Indians buy chicken. Recently my physiotherapist had said that chicken is good for muscle building which I already knew, however, I don't eat chicken regularly due to quality concerns.

Just now I was praying. I pray to several Gods. When I started praying to Lord Hanuman, it came to mind that I should take two scoops of protein a day at different times instead of thinking about from where to get good quality chicken and perhaps that's also why I bought another box of protein today. I had taken a schoop several hours ago today. I again had another scoop of protein and then continued praying.

This reminds me of high school years when I used to keep fast on Tuesday for Lord Hanuman and I also used to learn martial arts then. I used to watch several Shaolin Kung Fu movies during my school years and I didn't know that I would get to learn it from the start of my college at Georgia Tech in Atlanta.

Moreover, today another physiotherapist asked me how's my grappling on which I said that I'm not much into grappling. I would rather not fight but in the worst case scenario, I've learnt more on how to end it quickly, however, which would most likely finish the other person and so I wouldn't fight even if I'm hit a bit and I would rather try to get away from it. My Shaolin Kung Fu and Tai Chi grandmaster said that he taught not for competition but to kill. I thought the same whenever I practiced for around eight years. I only see fight like that. I see martial arts more than just for fighting and which those people might understand who've been learning martial arts for years.

I pray to Lord Hanuman for love, kindness, forgiveness and protection. Jai Maa Kali, Jai Maa Mary, Om Namah Shivaye!

8th August 2013: My gym personal trainer in his efforts to learn some martial arts from me started using much of his muscle and bone strengths. I showed him a few things from my trainings from years before. He said that what if he applies his full power on which I told him to do so and that I was still able to make the technique work. There was another person there who was also trying to learn from me. I told them that there are many techniques and that proper training is required to learn and that they can't learn properly like this. I told them that there would be nice martial arts trainers around. A friend of mine runs his martial arts school and who these people also know. I also them that his teacher has stayed in China and learned Shaolin for several years and he also choreographs fight scenes in movies.

My person trainer was becoming competitive and told me that let's have a fight but not an extreme one. I told them that I know little and that I wouldn't go for a power fight but to end it asap however I can and hence I wouldn't fight until I've no option. I did show them a few possible combination moves to be done at proper speed based on his moves that would finish him. I told him that I wouldn't go for a power fight and would avoid fighting until no option. I said that power is also important because if both have similar techniques then power could make a significant difference.

I showed them basic punching to get them started but then said that I wouldn't generally punch with a fist because it can also cause harm to self and I would generally rather use open hands and other means. I wish that my inputs would be of value to them and also to martial artists in general. I miss my Shaolin trainers in USA. From my early years in USA, I had thought of bringing my Shaolin school to India. During school years before going to USA, I used to watch Jackie Chan and other martial arts movies and it was great that I had started Shaolin from the first semester at my college at Georgia Tech. I do wish to keep contributing to martial arts and martial artists around our world. Best!

3rd July 2013: God, Please bless women. If you want to fight abuse then great. However, please don't think that you don't have limits when it comes to fighting. It's great if you've guts to keep fighting, however, please also be careful about body limits and healing processes. Please don't mind but I mean the following in your best interest that generally it's stupidity which leads to ignoring limits. I wish that SAHARA www.linkedin.com/groups/SAHARA-Sexual-Assault-Helpline-Reporting-47..., Security and India www.linkedin.com/groups/Security-India-4667311, Health and Fitness India network www.healthfitnessindia.com, World Martial Art Association www.worldmartialartassociation and my other efforts would also be of value in this regard. If you like any of them then please support as you can. Best!

Updated months before:

I just showed this to a person in class eight since he likes cars: "Enzo car review - Top Gear - BBC" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7jsauspMmU "...that you're in control of something biblical, something utterly magical, something wonderful...".

This person, Shashank, in class eight mentioned to me about Fight Science on National Geographic and that we just saw "Fight Science Fight Like an Animal Tiger Style Kung Fu (Power & Ferocity)" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCm5WiHda-0 video.

Also, "Animal Style Kung Fu - Snake (Speed & Accuracy)" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPGS1ORua54 video.

Also, "Animal Style Kung Fu - Praying Mantis (Accuracy, Speed & Explosiveness)" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlxkpQZ-FeQ video.

Also, "Fight Science: How to Move Like a Monkey (Strength, Balance & Co-ordination)" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZubx05P9s video.

Best,

Shakti Saran

Views: 1093

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mullins 1993 Shaolin Tournament http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC68d1xQEdQ.

Elder Master Garry Mullins (Shaolin Do martial arts) Beginning Stance Training http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-FlLbgNGpQ.

During training with masters in the mountains, I had requested Elder Master Garry Mullins to practice push hands with me which was amazing!

Also, when I had put off the candle from a distance, he had come to watch it and then I wasn't able to. Perhaps, there would be a next time!

The next time depends on whether I would learn and practice Shaolin Do like before and even better and for which I require such a teacher.

Hi All,

Today I shared with a combat class instructor to consider pursuing LES MILLS BODYCOMBAT certification http://www.lesmills.com/global/bodycombat/about-bodycombat.aspx if he wants to leave his day job and that wants to get into martial arts and fitness full-time. I told him that not everyone goes for martial arts classes due to the serious combat aspects, however, LES MILLS BODYCOMBAT comprises of exercises from different martial arts without getting into serious combat. Moreover, LES MILLS programs are getting launched by more and more fitness centers, gyms, and health clubs worldwide and so he'll gain skills and certification which is in growing demand. I also told him that LES MILLS programs are made such that they're not only great for fitness but also as much fun and which is great for business. I also told him that martial arts teaching doesn't have any standards worldwide which the different fitness centers, gyms, and health clubs can use to assess a teacher and hence he could even have serious problems if he wants to teach at another place. I also told him that he can think of LES MILLS BODYCOMBAT as a part of his workout and that he can also continue with martial arts.

I had spent thought and time over several months for him to grow from teaching martial arts to kids in a park to he getting an opportunity that would raise his career in martial arts to the next level. Given my background in martial arts, I had realized that he could be a nice combat class trainer at a gym and that I had introduced and recommended him to the gym. Initially, he didn't even go to it stating issues like lack of time, however, I kept at it and that took him one day with me to the gym and that since then I've seen him do well as a combat class instructor in the gym. Of course, people can be seriously short on time like my work schedule that usually comprises of about eleven to thirteen hours of work a day. However, I think that one can still figure out at least an hour a day for exercising and that since it's his part-time work which is also his interest he's being able to make time out for it which is nice. Now, I think that he should get more relevant exposure and experience and that for which I spoke to him about LES MILLS BODYCOMBAT certification. The gym already has LES MILLS RPM and BODYPUMP classes. His certification should help the gym to grow its business and that he could get more relevant exposure and experience by also working as a freelance trainer at other places and that the earning from working at several places could even let him work full-time in martial arts and fitness. 

I've shared the above also because if we can make an extra effort for someone who we think deserves it then we should because I realize the results that it can bring and even if we might not get the desired results, I think that we should keep making such efforts as and when we can. I'm sure that he does the same as a trainer by helping his students whereas I'm doing based on my interests which is to help health and fitness business owners, professionals, and enthusiasts through my knowledge, skills, and experience.

Best!

Shakti Saran

Plateau - be in and enjoy it and also try to come out of it simultaneously

http://www.healthfitnessindia.com/profiles/blogs/plateau-be-in-enjo...

Today I didn't go to gym. I practiced martial arts at home. I think I threw a few thousand punches of different styles in an hour. Last month, I designed a workout plan for myself which I haven't started following yet including because I'm still trying to figure out a better version to start with. I'll be adding one session per week of one hour of punches and another session per week of one hour of kicks which should help me regain my punches and kicks and to further improve them.

Shakti... cut the numbers. Increase focus on proper technique & body connectivity. Start off slow to really focus the proper technique... say 10 seconds per punch. That should give you plenty of time to incorporate proper body integration with your stance(s).

Focus on your breathing. In through the nose, down to the dan tian, out through the mouth. Sequence with the punches.

Your stance(s) at this point should be a little higher than you normally would so you focus on complete body integration for the technique.

Thank You Sean! Great inputs! I remember doing similarly with you and that you guiding me well. Several times, we forget the basics and the essentials and that your response covers them so well in short! Before counting, I had done a short period of slow punching to get the motion going a bit properly. Also, I didn't keep counting but that counted how many fast but also decent punches that I could throw within a minute and that then just kept punching in different styles for about an hour including in some different stances. I also did slower and faster punches than the speed at which I had counted for a minute. After the workout, I averaged the number of punches for a minute and that then approximated the number of punches for the entire workout.

Over the years, I've had my duels with working out including practicing martial arts and that sometimes I've been made to sit on the ring side for a while. I've been regularly going to gym for about a year now and that along with it I've also been doing a little bit of martial arts practice by myself and that I've been practicing again some of Taiji Quan, Ba Gua Zhang, and Xing Yi Quan and Northern Shaolin Kung Fu which I would keep increasing. One reason that I wanted to count was that I wanted to get a rough measure of myself in terms of balancing speed with power related to punches. I agree that stances can get affected (but they shouldn't get seriously affected) in such an exercise. I do think that I should grow the quantity with quality. I've also thought of the 10,000 Bees Attacking form for several years and that someday I would like to learn it which might even require striking many times. Kindly keep sharing your inputs! Thank You! Best! Shakti Saran


Sean Stonehart said:

Shakti... cut the numbers. Increase focus on proper technique & body connectivity. Start off slow to really focus the proper technique... say 10 seconds per punch. That should give you plenty of time to incorporate proper body integration with your stance(s).

Focus on your breathing. In through the nose, down to the dan tian, out through the mouth. Sequence with the punches.

Your stance(s) at this point should be a little higher than you normally would so you focus on complete body integration for the technique.

Not bad practice for not having anything too close to you.

I'm a huge believer & proponent of quality, not quantity. Quantity comes with quality. Quantity with no quality is useless for proper mechanics. Same with speed & power. Those two happen with quality practice. Power is the result of speed built by proper body mechanics.

You need to invite me over for a visit.

Hi Sean, Thank You again for great inputs! Your input regarding power is of high value which one might not think about while learning martial arts. I'm not an expert at this, however, since getting a strike through seems to also depend on timing besides technique and its accuracy, even if one might not be able to strike with enough power at once to finish the fight, one might be able to strike enough times by timing them better to finish the fight. Essentially, what I'm thinking is that if a strike doesn't have the maximum power of the striker then could it be thrown faster with lesser power and that still be effective and that if so then should we also practice for the same even if it's counter-intuitive to the general form of martial arts theory and practice? Moreover, I don't even like to fight and so all this is very theoretical compared to your years of experience and hence also I seek your inputs because I do keep thinking about the many things related to martial arts.

Also, you're most welcome here and that when I start organizing health and fitness events here then I would even invite you! By this year, I want to get in better shape including by being able to do five hundred correct push ups or five hundred correct situps during a workout session. It's highly unfortunate to not have any well-established Shaolin schools here. During school years, I used to watch Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, and other movies. During college, I registered with Shaolin Kung Fu class even before my first semester started and that over the years thought that someday I would have a branch of my school here which I still wish to do and that now I've several more ideas for it. Thank You for your inputs! Kindly keep sharing them! Best! Shakti Saran

Sean Stonehart said:

Not bad practice for not having anything too close to you.

I'm a huge believer & proponent of quality, not quantity. Quantity comes with quality. Quantity with no quality is useless for proper mechanics. Same with speed & power. Those two happen with quality practice. Power is the result of speed built by proper body mechanics.

You need to invite me over for a visit.

Ah... now you're getting into a trade off discussion of power for the punch v speed of the punch, both combined with timing & placement. That is a creature all by itself. You can sacrifice one for the other & do it successfully. However, that's a training time issue. In my experience, it's better to build both as opposed to trying to substitute or supplant.

From my experience, develop both by slow reps and motions. Once your body has the motion & mechanics "learned", speed can happen because by then, you're bored. With speed comes the "power" or force delivered on impact. You can do the math & substitute the proper terms for my incorrect ones.

Now there's danger in speed v power & power v speed. In speed v power, the idea of overwhelming the target with multiple strikes at a reduced amount of impact force. However, if the strikes come in TOO lightly, you won't get the desired impact of the multiple strikes. Think playing patty cake as a kid. In the other option, the idea of "one shot one kill" is just bad. The strike is so hard & has so much forward momentum that unless it makes a direct solid impact, the chance of loosing balance & being pummelled for it is far greater than it should be.

We'll talk more about it, but quite serious about coming over for a visit. Can't do it this year (2012), but probably next year (2013). I have all sorts of stuff in my bag of tricks for you to use. Just give me a place to sleep for a week or so & be ready to train. Oh yeah... and show me around & what not. I've not been to India.

Hi Sean, You've shared much of high value to think about and work on. I'm remembering the great times of learning from you and your bag of tricks then which introduced me to things that I probably wouldn't have learned about until I had reached higher ranks! I'm as or even more serious than you about having you here. One year would give me some time to grow my work in health and fitness including to sponsor you and perhaps a small team to come to India for an event. I also look forward to your blog entries if you like. Also, it'll be great if you can also share about our network and platform with others. Thank You! All the Best! Shakti Saran

Sean Stonehart said:

Ah... now you're getting into a trade off discussion of power for the punch v speed of the punch, both combined with timing & placement. That is a creature all by itself. You can sacrifice one for the other & do it successfully. However, that's a training time issue. In my experience, it's better to build both as opposed to trying to substitute or supplant.

From my experience, develop both by slow reps and motions. Once your body has the motion & mechanics "learned", speed can happen because by then, you're bored. With speed comes the "power" or force delivered on impact. You can do the math & substitute the proper terms for my incorrect ones.

Now there's danger in speed v power & power v speed. In speed v power, the idea of overwhelming the target with multiple strikes at a reduced amount of impact force. However, if the strikes come in TOO lightly, you won't get the desired impact of the multiple strikes. Think playing patty cake as a kid. In the other option, the idea of "one shot one kill" is just bad. The strike is so hard & has so much forward momentum that unless it makes a direct solid impact, the chance of loosing balance & being pummelled for it is far greater than it should be.

We'll talk more about it, but quite serious about coming over for a visit. Can't do it this year (2012), but probably next year (2013). I have all sorts of stuff in my bag of tricks for you to use. Just give me a place to sleep for a week or so & be ready to train. Oh yeah... and show me around & what not. I've not been to India.

Oh no Shakti... no sponsoring me dude. I would be coming to vacation, crash at your place & see your city & country. And in the middle of all that, train with you for a good long while.

If you have friends or aquaintences that would want to get in on it as well, then great!! More the merrier. But this would be nothing except hanging out with an old friend on his home turf & new turf for me.
 
Shakti Saran said:

Hi Sean, You've shared much of high value to think about and work on. I'm remembering the great times of learning from you and your bag of tricks then which introduced me to things that I probably wouldn't have learned about until I had reached higher ranks! I'm as or even more serious than you about having you here. One year would give me some time to grow my work in health and fitness including to sponsor you and perhaps a small team to come to India for an event. I also look forward to your blog entries if you like. Also, it'll be great if you can also share about our network and platform with others. Thank You! All the Best! Shakti Saran
 

Hey Sean, If the business can then why not and that even if you only want to have a vacation but not do any work when you visit, I would try to make it something of a business without any martial arts related work like getting consulting from you so that you don't mind being sponsored :) That'll be very little of what I would like to do for you when you visit me. I wish that my health and fitness business would let me do that by then. I was thinking today on the places that I would like to show you and that I thought that we'll at least cover a beach, a desert, a plain, and a mountain location and that I would like to learn from you in those different environments as well! Thank You! Shakti Saran

Sean Stonehart said:

Oh no Shakti... no sponsoring me dude. I would be coming to vacation, crash at your place & see your city & country. And in the middle of all that, train with you for a good long while.

If you have friends or aquaintences that would want to get in on it as well, then great!! More the merrier. But this would be nothing except hanging out with an old friend on his home turf & new turf for me.
 
Shakti Saran said:

Hi Sean, You've shared much of high value to think about and work on. I'm remembering the great times of learning from you and your bag of tricks then which introduced me to things that I probably wouldn't have learned about until I had reached higher ranks! I'm as or even more serious than you about having you here. One year would give me some time to grow my work in health and fitness including to sponsor you and perhaps a small team to come to India for an event. I also look forward to your blog entries if you like. Also, it'll be great if you can also share about our network and platform with others. Thank You! All the Best! Shakti Saran
 

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Home exercises to burn, reduce and lose fat and get slim and fit - Health Fitness India

Posted by Shakti Saran on September 1, 2015 at 6:12pm 0 Comments

Hi Everyone, I keep hearing from people on how to burn, reduce and lost fat and get slim and fit. People say they don't have time or money or both for going to gym. 

If you're struggling with fat and want a slim and fit body then I'm starting this post to share valuable videos that you can do at home.

At first before you start doing any exercises, make sure that you've no health issues or get a doctor…

Continue

How to lift weights, lose fat, tone, sculpt and build body at gym - Health Fitness India

Posted by Shakti Saran on April 2, 2016 at 5:55pm 0 Comments

How to lift weights, lose fat, tone, sculpt and build body at gym

Click each image below to see several videos on Health and Fitness India

Ladies, don't be turned off by lifting weights because you see a girl with lots of big muscles. It's very difficult to get lots of big…

Continue

Krav Maga India - Martial Art Self Defense - Schools, Trainers, Courses

Posted by Shakti Saran on September 20, 2015 at 6:07pm 0 Comments

Krav Maga ("contact combat") is a self-defense system that consists of a wide combination of techniques sourced from Aikido boxing, judo and wrestling along with realistic fight training.

You can read more about Krav Maga in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krav_Maga

Health Fitness India site suggests to learn from well-qualified Krav Maga instructors and to use the…

Continue

Very fat to Very fit - Fitness Trainer and Model Manisha Ramdhin - Health Fitness India

Posted by Shakti Saran on June 26, 2015 at 5:30pm 0 Comments

See how Manisha Ramdhin who had a very poor physical fitness and a very fat body has transformed herself into a slim, toned and muscular body that looks very fit.

Her Facebook link. This article will be soon updated with more details about her.

Manisha's photos are also…

Continue

Food Adulteration in India - Issues and Basic to Advanced Solutions for Reducing and Stopping it

Posted by Shakti Saran on March 18, 2016 at 5:30pm 54 Comments

FOOD ADULTERATION IN INDIA

Hi All, Please share about food adulteration with your family and friends which should also help to make things better or else your conditions might also keep worsening. I share details below from different sources but can't say for…

Continue

Anti-Pollution Mask, Delhi Metro Police, India

Posted by Shakti Saran on February 21, 2016 at 2:26pm 86 Comments

AIR POLLUTION IN INDIA

Lung Screening for Children and Everyone in India on IndiaShakti.org

Hi All, Please share about air pollution with your family and friends which…

Continue

Forum

How much physical activity do adults need?

Started by Shakti Saran in Uncategorized. Last reply by Shravan Joshi Sep 14. 25 Replies

From http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/adults.html-For Important Health BenefitsAdults need at least:2 hours and 30 minutes (150 minutes) of…Continue

Tags: adults, need, activity, physical, much

Starting an Exercise Program

Started by Shakti Saran in Uncategorized. Last reply by Shravan Joshi Sep 18. 13 Replies

From http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00416The toughest and most important step in an exercise program is getting started. People often think they need to…Continue

Tags: exercises, strength, training, flexibilty, conditioning

You MUST Research health and fitness inputs given by family, friends and others

Started by Shakti Saran in Uncategorized. Last reply by Shravan Joshi May 31. 12 Replies

Today after an awesome LESMILLS RPM class, I asked the instructor on whether there's a recommended way to breathe during the class. Another person there said that thinking logically, it would be breathing quickly at short intervals. He also said…Continue

Tags: long, instructor, intervals, short, deep

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

© 2017   Created by Shakti Saran.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service