One of the best throwing events in track and fieldis shot put and it requires precise use of strength and technique. In order to perform well in this event, the athlete requires some disciplined training with fine points of improvement in techniques.
- Split your training session into three phases such as preparation, completion and competition
- Do Plyometric training, medicine balls routine and fitness endurance training for one day a week.
- Then practice full shot throws for several days a week and measure your progress and performance goals.
- During the competition phase, split the routines such as full ball throwing into two days and core training into four days, medicine balls routines into two days and other two days rest from all training.
It is a well known fact that good arms are essential for throwing shot puts, but many of us don’t know that a support from core and legs are also essential.
- At a time, make a list of exercises to be performed and work with arms, core and legs. Core in sense the muscles around the stomach and back.
- Hold the shot put in both the hands and start with the overhead drill. Between your legs in a swinging motion, bring the athletic gear and perform many throws during warm up session.
- Then, move to the pivot drill and hold the shot put with elbow pointing out. Put majority of your weight on your dominant legs and keep that leg in front.
- Do these drills regularly and practice four days a week. Atleast you need 24 hours of rest in between the practice sessions.