If you are eager to develop your muscles and remain physically strong and agile, then you should start weight lifting exercises. Weightlifting is also one of the Track and Field Events.As a first step, you must identify the weightlifting exercises that will work best for you - after studying your present fitness level, the goals you wish to achieve and the time frame.
To obtain a total body makeover, you must choose a combination of weightlifting exercises that will work on each of the muscle groups. Your major muscle groups are the back, the chest, the shoulders, the biceps, the triceps, the quadriceps, the abdominals, and the legs.
Before commencing the weight lifting exercises, make sure that your daily workouts do not last beyond 45 minutes - as weight lifting for long hours can have negative effects.
- The squat is a simple and yet an important exercise performed by squatting down with a weight held across the upper back and standing up straight again. If need be, you may use lifting belts to help support your lower back.
- The next significant weight lifting exercise should be the leg press that is performed being seated by pushing a weight away from the body with the feet. It is preferable you use the leg press machine – but, you have to be cautious as overloading the machine can result in serious injuries.
- You should include the commonly practiced deadlift into your list of exercises. The deadlift is performed by squatting down and lifting a weight off the floor with the hand until standing up straight again. You can use athletic equipments like dumbbells, barbell, trapbar or Smith machine.
- The leg extension exercise is performed while seated by raising a weight out in front of the body with the feet. The legs extension serves to also strengthen the muscles around the knees and is an exercise that is recommended by physical therapists. You can use the leg extension machine for quick results.
- The leg curl is performed while lying face down on a bench, by raising a weight with the feet towards the buttocks. This is an isolation exercise focusing on the hamstrings. It is preferable to use a leg curl machine.
- The snatch is widely practiced and it is one of the two current Olympic weightlifting events. The nature of this exercise is to lift a barbell from the platform to locked arms overhead in a free flowing movement. The barbell is pulled as high as you can manage.